12.08.2005

Reminiscing

My brother just recently got engaged to his high school sweetheart and as he told me the story of how he proposed, along with all the mishaps, and it got me thinking about how Anthony proposed. In just a few weeks it will have been 9 years ago that Anthony proposed to me. How'd he do it, you ask? It was quite a shock I must say. Anthony never even hinted at any type of proposal. Never even suggested he was interested in getting married. We had been dating for 2 years. I thought maybe he would never get around to asking, but secretly hoped with each passing holiday or birthday, perhaps there was a ring in that package. Much to my dismay, there never was.

Just a few days before Christmas we were "performing" a little skit in front of our entire church (approx 50 people, including my inlaws). The skit was about a couple who had reversed roles. The wife, being the football watcher, sitting on the couch while the husband, proceeded to wash dishes and prepare dinner.

At one point in the skit, Anthony was supposed to walk up behind me and say a particular line. However, while he did that, since I did not see him coming, he pulls the ring out of his pocket. The entire church sees what is about to happen and I have NO idea!! I hear him "quote" a line and all I can think of is...HE's MESSING UP HIS LINES - thats not what he is supposed to be saying. So I am trying to think fast - not even paying attention to what the line was that he actually said. All of a sudden, I look up, and there he is on one knee in front of me. At the time I was so embarrassed all I could think about was getting off that stage, but I look back on it now and it is such a fond memory. I am so glad that he chose a very unique way to propose. It will be a story that I get to share with my children and grandchildren for years to come.


2 comments:

Danielle said...

Wow! Anthony looks like a teenager! What a sweet proposal!!!

sarahgrace said...

That is too cute! (and funny!) Thanks for sharing your story too!