4.14.2006

Yardwork Galore

Last weekend, after many many many hours of work in the yard (and a few sunburns) I think our yard (1/2 acre) is finally cleaned up and ready for summer. We have this area in our back yard (approximately 20' x 20') that we have used to dump all of our grass clippings, tree limbs (from our 2 HUGE globe willows), leaves, etc. Each spring (and fall) we vow we are going to burn that pile. Well, it has been 3 years and we finally got around to burning it. Unfortunately, only about 1/2 of it burned. The other half we had to shovel into the pick-up and take to the dump. It was a TON of work but it felt good to get it all done...until...

ALLERGIES. Yuck!!! My allergies started the 2nd spring we moved into this house. The sneezing, sniffles, itchy throat, itchy eyes...you get the picture. Growing up I never had allergies of any sort, so this was all new to me. Each year it has progressively gotten worse. I dont know if it was the "stirring" up of all the grass clippings or what, but I had the absolute WORST attack the day after cleaning up the yard and it hasnt stopped.

I can't hardly sleep at night because either my nose is plugged and I can't breathe, or its running and tickling/itching my nose. I finally broke down and went to Walmart to get some allergy medicine on my way to church. Its approximately 9:50 a.m. I couldn't STAND it any more! I went running in, expecting to grab the box I need, pay for it, get a mouth full of water at the water fountain on my way out and pop a few of these pills. Much to my surprise, Walmart has taken almost ALL of their over the counter meds and put them...where?...BEHIND THE COUNTER...in the PHARMACY....which DOESNT open until 11 a.m. WHAT is up with THAT?? Aren't OVER THE COUNTER medicines supposed to be..oh, I dont know...OVER THE COUNTER and not hidden behind it? So I suffer through church...where people think Im crying because Im constantly wiping my eyes and nose. I stop back in at Walmart and get some meds now that the pharmacy is open...take the pills and it doesnt help one bit. So after all that I am back at square one...miserable. I finally got to Vitamin Cottage on Tuesday where I found some things that are actually helping to relieve my symptoms. Thank God!

I am still not top knotch, but at least I have a way to relieve some of these symptoms...now if I can just get through the next 2 months...

2 comments:

McBunni said...

WELCOME TO THE ALLGERY SUFFERER'S CLUB!!!!! :D

You can thank the people who make meth for the medicines being put behind the counter. The nasal decongestant in OTC allergy and cold medicines is an ingrediant in meth. ANYWAY....my daily allergy reimine: Claritin D (non-drowsy 24 hours), Visine for allergies, two Mucinex---this is all once a day in the morning....then I take Rhnioquart Aqua (an anti-inflamitory nose spray) at night before bed. If I stop taking my Rhinoquart, I get a sinus infection.

The regular Claritin (without the "D") doesn't seem to work as well as D does. Also, these are all the brand names. Generic Claritin D and Visine work just as good. Mucinex is not available in a generic form yet. I know that seems like a lot of drugs, but trust me, you'll feel a LOT better if you're taking something for your symtoms. I've been taking allergy shots for a couple of years to help me become immune. It has helped a little, but the progress is slow going.

I know you're more of a hippie :) and don't like to take as many drugs and prefer a natural approach...BUT...trust me. This will make you feel lots better.

Good luck!

McBunni said...

Holy comment, Batman!