11.14.2005

playing dead


i have previously posted about my experience with fish...well, ryans fish #2, diego, is an odd one at that. He/she is a black moor goldfish. Strangest little thing I have ever seen...he doesnt swim, he wriggles along...and without fail, after every feeding he "plays dead" He likes to float at the top of the tank, scaring me to death that we have, yet, another dead fish. Within a few minutes he swims off, only to float back to the top again.

Some tell me that it is because he is "constipated"...can fish really get constipated??? I mean, come on, they live in WATER..???!!! Anyways, so we switched his food a few days ago to contain more vegetable matter...but he still continues to float. I keep looking at him thinking...is this his last day, will he croak today? But yet, every morning I get up and he is still alive. I have heard it called "floaty bloaty goldfish" ... maybe this is his lot in life, or maybe he just likes to look at things from a "different angle".

1 comment:

Becky Behrens said...

Who would have thought a fish could get constipated. Who even came up with that theory? I mean was there a fish that did this and when it died they did an autopsy? Well, I hope that adding more fiber to its diet will help it out. That cracks me up!