3.30.2006

"Not all kids my size can do this..."

Okay, I don't know if this is normal...but yesterday morning Ryan who is 5 yrs and 5 mos old said "Mom, I can tie my shoes". Me, being the naive mother that I am said "oh I bet you can sweetie" but secretly in the back of my mind knowing there was no way because I hadnt shown him yet. Ryan said "No Mom...I REALLY can...see..." So I sat down to watch, expecting him to just twist the laces around "pretending" to tie...much to my surprise...he REALLY can! When I asked him where he learned how to tie (expecting that maybe daddy taught him)..he said "my teacher showed me yesterday"...go figure!!!! My son is on the road to being responsible for himself. It starts with feeding himself and then going to the bathroom (and wiping) on his own, and now this??? What's next?? Wait...maybe I don't want to know the answer to that one...

6 comments:

Becky Behrens said...

That is awesome! Way to go Ryan!

Kris said...

That is just the cutest picture ever!! Ben will be six next month and still doesn't know how. Although we're challenging him to learn by his birthday.

IzzyMom said...

That's great! I haven't even attempted to teach my daughter who is about the same age. I just assumed it would be too hard.

heidi said...

Wow!thats great. I can't even get my 12 yr. old to tie his. though i think that is just lazyness.LOL!!!

sarahgrace said...

Yay! Good job Ryan!

Unknown said...

That's fantastic! I stick to velcro and slip ons for my 5 year old because I don't want to have to continually tie her shoes.